Monday, February 2, 2009

All The Buzz

Community has been a buzz word for quite some time now. Being a part of a community. Building community. Helping to start a new community.

I find that people love the idea of community. Being a part of something bigger than oneself. Being surrounded by like-minded people, who long for the same things. Pursuing a common purpose in the spirit of unity.

Like most people, I also dream of how the community I am a part of will lift me up. Edify me. Help me to be more like Jesus. And, secretly, fill some of that void that lies deep in my heart. Yeah, I can be a bit self-centered on occasion. The occasion usually being each brand new day.

Truth is, community is hard work. Okay, okay, I know you've probably heard that before, but it's so true. Today we begin our 7th year of NieuCommunities South Africa. And I am amazed that I am a bit apprehensive about moving toward community with 8 new people that I've never been in a community with. Is it because I'm secretly afraid of community? I don't think so.

I think the apprehension lies in the fact that true community calls me to be totally and completely reliant on Jesus. Not that I don't want to be totally reliant. Problem is that I've lived with myself for a few years and I know that I don't always do that. I enjoy this funny little thing called control, and in my attempt to control I lose the very thing I'm striving for.

I also know that true community calls me to serve. I like to serve others! That is, until they tick me off, get under my skin and eventually fall onto the inevitable list of "those who don't deserve to be served." Yes, dying to self and becoming servant of all is the call of the day if you want true community. In my attempt to get my way I squander the very thing I'm longing for.

Finally, I know that true community calls me to be vulnerable. To allow others to see (and experience) those dastardly parts of me that I don't even like to admit I have. It's hard to wear a mask in community. No, let me rephrase that. It's easy to wear a mask, but it's hard to find one that others can't see through. Again, in my attempt to protect myself, I miss the very thing I am hoping for.

So, why is it that I keep fighting for community year after year? The answer is simple. I have tasted it's fruit. The shaping of my life. The transformation of my character. A growing ability to love the seemingly unlovable. A blossoming desire to die to self. A thirsting after righteousness. A hunger for His kingdom. This is why I keep fighting for community.

2 comments:

Griselda Johnson said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing. Deep stuff dude. I am gonna share this with Nathalie. She just wrote a blog asking people what community is to them.

Cori said...

I so identify with community being the thing I long for and yet that which I seem to jeopordize out of all sorts of fears (like the ones you point out - the fear of losing control, being vulnerable etc). Someone once said to me that they feel there is a secret agent inside of them that is undermining everything they long for! And yet the rewards of losing control, being vulnerable, trusting Jesus, being in community, as you say, are so rich.