Friday, December 19, 2008

and give you peace

Daleen sent this out to some of her friends last week and I asked if I could post it here. Enjoy.

I wanted to share a story with you: One that reminds me of the old woman who gave the two coins as offering. Remember how Jesus said she gave more than anybody because she gave everything she had.

A few days ago we took my dad out to Nando's (a local restaurant) for lunch. The lady who waits tables have been working there for ever, but it is not because I go there often that I remember her, it is the way she serves that left an impression on me. This day was no different than any other she was helpful and sincerely friendly. I gave her a very big tip and she was so grateful that it made me want to give her more. Actually it put me in a real giving mood. I even prayed and ask God to help me find ways to give this Christmas season in a way that might not necessarily change lives but that will give joy. I am having a lot of fun handing out the joy of Christmas in small ways.

But this story is not about me, I thought it was when I sat down this morning with my tea. I was thinking about giving and the joy it brings to those who give and those who receive, wishing I had lots of money to just go crazy and give all over the place. And this was when God reminded me of the lady at Nando's. She gives everyday and blesses lives with her giving, she blessed me and my family, but what did she give? The gift of money or things - no. She gave a greater gift. She gives the only thing she has. She gives herself. Her gift will last for ever, and I'm sure my tip was well spent, but long gone.

Is this not the meaning of Christmas? Jesus gave the greatest gift, He gave himself.

May you experience the joy of this season and all that it holds.

No comments: