Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Love Your Neighbor


So, we pitched up at City Hall at 9:40 ready to march at 10:00 through the streets of Pretoria only to find that there were scarce few people gathered. Obviously, we were disappointed. However, once we located the organizers they assured us that busloads were on their way. The estimated numbers were 5,000, but in the end, I would guess that just over a thousand of us took to the streets. We basically walked for an hour from City Hall to the Parliment Buildings to deliver a document of "demands" to representatives of the President on behalf of foreigners, and more specifically, Zimbabweans.

A truck, equipped with a sound system and a number of chant leaders, led the way. I spent most of the time trying to stay in step with my "comrades" as we (well, mostly the Africans) chanted and sang, drawing the attention of those who lived in the apartments overlooking the streets of downtown. I also spent a lot of time thinking about this process and wondering why there were only 8 whites in this sea of people. The lack of white participation made me sad. Where were all the white people? How come I had never done something like this before? Is it fear? Does it just seem like a big waste of time? The questions linger. Sadly, the Africans seemed much more surprised by my presence, than by the lack of white participation.

Some have asked me why I would do something like this since I don't have a track record of demonstrating, protesting and marching. I guess the plight of Zimbabwe has been on my heart for a long time. What is happening there is simply inhumane. I wanted to stand in solidarity with those who are suffering - I thought it would help them to see there are people who love them and want the best for them. I also wanted to help bring their suffering to the attention of our fellow citizens, as well as those in power. I suppose I've been more and more convicted of staying in my "safe" zone and avoiding such events. The more I read the Gospels, the more I sense that it's places like this where I might have found Jesus...with those who are suffering.

All in all, the march on Sunday probably had the biggest impact on my heart than anything else. This has helped to propel me into action on what has become a very serious situation in our country - latest news is that 42 people have died and tens of thousands have been displaced from their homes due to violence. I am helping to collect food, blankets (it's winter here) and clothing for refugees, who live in and around our area. Also, NieuCommunities has made a room available to a husband and wife from Zimbabwe who are working in the area, and several of our apprentices are working with refugees in different parts of the city. If you would like to see a video of the march follow this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1nA9PmK_NU

1 comment:

Rob Yackley said...

Way to take a stand for what is right!