Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hotdish

For the past two years, Daleen and I have been praying about and considering the ever-gentle nudge of the Spirit to move to America. After 19 years of living outside the borders of America, there was much to consider. As we looked at various options, there were several things that drew me to Minnesota. I know, many of you will immediately think, "It must not have been the weather," but truth be known, I enjoy a good, brisk -10 degrees as much as the next guy.

Actually, the weather had very little to do with our move, but it does reflect a deeper truth. Extreme winter weather is new for us as a family, and it is that "newness" that was attractive. After living overseas for nearly 20 years, it can be difficult to re-enter ones native culture. It doesn't necessarily seem difficult, but that is precisely the problem. It is easy to assume that I know what America is like, and that I understand the values of my native culture. Daleen and the kids can also make the same mistake because they have been to America on numerous occasions and have been surrounded by Americans in NieuCommunities.

Our move to Minnesota has forced us to become learners. We really don't know our way around all that well. We don't know what there is to do for fun or where people hang out. We didn't come with our own furniture, car or the right clothes. And, we certainly don't pretend to know Minnesota culture. For instance, someone at church asked if I was going to bring a "hotdish" to the community meal. At first, I figured they were speaking about Daleen, but then I realized that I had no idea what they were talking about. I came to find out that a hot dish is a casserole, which usually includes cream of onion soup. And, according to Wikipedia, the history of the hotdish goes back to when budget-minded farm wives needed to feed their own families, as well as congregations in the basements of the first Minnesota churches. Who knew?

Small things like this serve as constant reminders to slow down, take notice, listen and observe. And, although there is much to learn as we submerge into the local culture, one thing that we can say with confidence is that the term "Minnesota Nice" is a good description of the people of Saint Paul. Friends and family (and friends of family) have given generously to help us settle into this new place that we call home.

3 comments:

Lisa Como said...

Daleen IS a hotdish ;) We're so happy to have you here...and we do assure you that the weather only gets better from this point!!

Rudy said...

I'm already bummed that you 5 won't be directly on my way to the coffee shop in 4 months.

Natalie said...

I'm so glad you guys are here!