Wednesday, October 6, 2010

walking

"Man, Africans sure do walk slowly!" That was my first thought as I observed a young, African couple with their baby stroller walking down the street near my house. "If they were walking any slower, they'd be going backwards," was probably my second thought.

All of a sudden I was very aware of how people were walking, and images began to flood my thoughts. I could picture Western women with their "jogging strollers" running through the neighborhoods of my mind. I could see white people walking "with purpose," going somewhere. And, finally, I could see myself walking briskly through my neighborhood with my kids on their bikes because we only have 15 minutes before dinner.

As I thought about the African couple with their stroller, the one thing I could remember is the way they were looking at each other. The way they were enjoying each other. Lost to the world and enraptured in a moment in time. My judgmental thoughts of their "slowness" quickly gave way to a constructive envy.

As a "Westerner," I struggle with slowing down. It seems that I always have to have a goal. Even when I walk through my neighborhood with my kids I am, more often than not, bound by how far we want to go, or how much time we have. And, before I know it, the journey has given way to the destination.

Unfortunately, my physical life often mirrors my spiritual life. I often approach my time with God in much the same manner, as if there is a goal other than being with Him. As though I must "get something" from my time with Him or else I may have wasted it. And, oh, how we hate to waste time.

As I get older, I find that being with Him is the goal. Resting and enjoying His presence is what He calls me to. Yes, He is concerned with who I become, what I do and how I live, but first and foremost He wants me. All the other things will flow from that, not the other way around.

Hopefully, the next time I sit in my car and wait (for what seems like eons) for a couple to cross the road, I will be grateful and remember. Grateful for a culture that slows down and enjoys the journey. And mindful of the value of relationships along the way.

No comments: