Tuesday, March 9, 2010

women are like tea bags

There is a saying that women are like tea bags, you don't no how strong they are until you dunk them in hot water.

Recently, a well-known South African Christian singer's wife was raped. The other day, I was speaking to a friend of mine and she told me of this woman's response to this ordeal. Although the woman is waiting to find out if she is pregnant, and whether or not she has AIDS, she is praising God. She feels that God had asked her, "who will stand in the gap for my name?" and she said that she would. She feels as though God has now called on her. She feels that although her body was used, her soul was not touched and her heart was not stolen away from God.

Not knowing what kind of tea bag I will make, I marvel at her strength and unwavering love for God. I have been angry at God for far less. I have felt let down and disappointed by Him. And, although I have know my share of misfortune, I have not really tasted true sacrifice for God. I can honestly say that I would not wish to be called to stand in the gap if the gap looks like that, but maybe I could handle a crack.

I wonder if my fear keeps me from knowing true faith? I wonder if I have gotten so comfortable with my life that I don't want to be one of God's warriors anymore? I wonder if a stolen car is as much of a sacrifice as I am willing to make (someone tried to steal our car last week). I believe we all have different burdens to carry and not all of them are a call to tragedy. But if mine was, I hope I am made of stronger stuff than I think, and that it will not destroy my faith in God.

Daleen

No comments: