Monday, April 27, 2009

Attentiveness

I don't want to be one of those people who always needs to have a brilliant story or a clever word to share. And so, as I contemplate and consider what to write, I realize that I actually have many things to share, but they are things of the everyday. They don't seem so earth-shattering or exciting, and thus, they don't seem worth sharing.

Unfortunately, this is how I have often lived my life. Always looking for the earth-shattering or exciting thing to keep me going. Big events to help me keep my focus on God. However, over the past few years God has been reminding me that He comes in the gentle whisper (1 Kings 19:12). He's that still, small voice. And, He asks us to “be still...” as well (Ps. 46:10).

I suppose I'm learning to be attentive. Attentive in the everyday things of life. Or better yet, attentive to God in the everyday. Things that appear so natural can suddenly seem quite supernatural. God's daily involvement in my life becomes real and tangible, personal and meaningful. His presence is more easily perceived and entered into.

Attentiveness doesn't just affect the way I experience God, but it also affects the way I interact with the people and world around me. I am learning to slow down and build “margin” into my life. To listen to what is being said, or not said. To notice the reactions of others, or how I react myself. To take time to observe, consider, think and meditate on. Time to enjoy. Time to see. Really see.

And when I am living with a high level of attentiveness I can hardly help but to be on mission. I am more other-centered. Having lived in tight community for a number of years now, I can say with some certainty that community is not born out of proximity, but out of attentiveness. No matter how close I live to those around me, I will not build deeper relationships if I don't pay attention and respond accordingly.

It seems that being attentive helps form the backbone of a life richly lived.

1 comment:

Sarah Jane said...

your words resound with me. i appreciate this post - thank you for sharing your thoughts! often times the reality of the importance of attentiveness doesn't hit home until it's too late and we are dealing with the devastation of its neglect. it's a discipline to be attentive. but it's also proactive health on many levels.