Friday, October 31, 2008

simple

Two weeks ago we had the privilege of hosting Annemie Bosch, wife of the late author and missiologist, David J. Bosch, in our home. Spirituality of the Road and Transforming Mission are both very well known, although I have only read the first of these two books (however, I would highly recommend both). During the evening Annemie said, "We try to live simply so others can simply live." This is not a new thought to me, but I was struck by the power of this simple statement.

Since that conversation with Mrs. Bosch, I've thought a lot about what it means to live simply. It seems to be more of a process and a movement than a destination. Truly, when can one say that they are living simply enough? It is more of a mindset. A mindset that takes others into account. A mindset that evaluates daily decisions in light of their local and global effects. A mindset that grapples with being content.

Now I've got an old song stuck in my head. One whose lyrics seem to fit this topic so very well:

I dont mind stealing bread
From the mouths of decadence
But I can't feed on the powerless
When my cups already overfilled
-Hunger Strike by Temple of the Dog

Bryan

1 comment:

Cori said...

This really resonated with me. Thanks for sharing this!